Sophie Scott Goes South
An adventure-filled picture book for younger readers based on best-selling and much-loved author Alison Lester's real experiences aboard an Antarctic expedition ship.
I'm going to Antarctica and I can't wait!
Sophie Scott is only nine years old, but she's going to Antarctica on an icebreaker with her dad, the ship's captain. During the voyage to Mawson Station and back, Sophie keeps a diary. She sees icebergs, penguins, seals and whales. She makes new friends, experiences the southern lights and even becomes stranded in a blizzard!
Children's Laureate and much-loved picture-book creator Alison Lester travelled to Antarctica as an Antarctic Arts Fellow. Her alter ego, Sophie Scott, goes on the same adventure in a friendly, informative and beautifully presented book that sees the wonder of Antarctica through a child's eyes.
- Winner, APA Awards, 2013, Best Designed Children's Non-Fiction Book
- Shortlisted, Children's Book Council Australia, Picture Book, 2013
- White Raven list 2013 - International Children's Library, for exceptional literary, design and artistic style
- Winner, Speech Pathology Book of the Year Award, Lower Primary, 2013.
- United States Board of Books for Young People list of Outstanding International Books for children and young adults, 2014.